In 2011, McDonald’s Europe set about reducing the environmental impact of the large salad container by eliminating the plastic lid, while at the same time working toward their 100 percent renewable resources packaging strategy goal.
HAVI Global Solutions developed a leak-proof, large salad box with their supplier Seda. The box featured an integrated lid and transparent window that reduced total material needed and reduced the use of nonrenewable resources.
Thanks to the elimination of the plastic lid and the introduction of the leak-proof box, Seda achieved:
- Total source reduction (down 17.7 percent vs. current bowl and lid)
- Reduction of nonrenewable sources consumption (down 86 percent)
- Waste disposal fees reduction
- Reduction of stock-keeping units (SKUs)
- Carbon footprint reduction